Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cleaning off the Computer Desk


The children of Dorothy (Dot) Daugherty Franklin and Ben Franklin

I have this pile near the computer that needs to be organized and put in files. The top one is the Wilson - Enke Descendents book, written in 1977 by Bonnie Cavenee Runge. I've shared all of it with you and hope it can be of some use in your own searching. Bonnie did a wonderful job...remember she had no computer programs to help her out. Her daughter Verna did all the typing. And these families were large...lots of information to gather. I imagine not all families sent their information in on time. I do know that Bonnie has no desire to do this again. It was a huge undertaking. It would be interesting to get her impressions of the compiling for this book...Verna's too!I just sent Verna a note. We'll see if she takes me up on the idea of jotting a few memories down for Prairie Roots.

I also have several communications from Victor Franklin. His mother was Dorothy Daugherty Franklin, whose father was my ggrandfather George Daugherty. After George's first wife Catherine Elizabeth DeLong Daugherty died, George remarried Emma Robb Henninger. They had one daughter together, Dorothy Evlyn. Victor has been so wonderful in sharing his family information and some really wonderful photos.

Victor's family is really large and there are some interesting relationships. He's been so good about answering my questions. If there were photos that needed identification he was more than willing to help me out. His commentary on all of his brothers, sisters, and their children makes for interesting reading. I won't be publishing much of his narrative, but will keep it filed in my Daugherty file.

Also on my desk is an obituary for Ralph Harland (Doc) Pesicka. He recently passed away and I want to be sure and include the obit in the March issue of Prairie Roots. Imagine my surprise when checking Pierre Capital Times I found that the picture that was used in that publication was one I took of Doc a couple of years ago. I'm very sad for Doc's passing. When I visited him in Dupre (miles from no-where) he was living alone (his wife Lily is in ND at a facility for Alzeimers - spelling) in his small, yet comfortable and pleasant home just a couple of blocks, if that, from the courthouse where he stilled worked. He had had some medical situations but looked good to go for a few more years. Doc was an intelligent, gentle, ethical, hard-working man who lived his country.

I also have a note from Tyler Skavang in answer to Jan. 7th posting concerning Mary Ann Wilson's Children. Tyler is the son of Gary Skavang who has passed away. He also mentions that Richard Skavang died 2 years ago. I hope to continue conversation with Tyler.

Lastly is a note from Lonie Daley, whose mother and my mother are double first cousins. I needed clarification on a photo. Lonie hopes to make a trip to Stevens Point, from the Black Hills, to see her mom this winter. I'd love to visit with her again. A great individual with lots of warmth and creativity.

Well, my desk is cleared. All will go into a drawer, where I'll have to again separate them as to Prairie Roots possibilities or filing in my loseleaf notebooks. I can't leave for Florida on Tues. with a mess for Joe to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment