Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Getting Back to Martha (Pepper) Daugherty

This is Martha Peper Daugherty, 1838-1924.

I'm getting tired of worrying about what my previous postings have contained and the desire NOT to duplicate. I'm thinking that that is what has made me cautious about blogging lately. Phooey...if I repeat myself, too bad. This is my 175th posting and I guess thath I want to get back to Martha.

What do I know about Martha Pepper Daugherty? Above you'll see an obituary of her.
Martha was born January 3, 1838, in Chillocothee, Ross County, Ohio. I need to find out where that is in the state. She was married to William Henry Daugherty February 19th, 1861 in Wapello, Iowa, though I do have an possibility of Delavan, Tazwell County, Iowa (stated by her obituary.) In front of me, after a bit of hunting through all my Daugherty information, I have a State of Iowa, Certificate of Marriage, County Wapello, of William H. Daugherty and Martha Pepper. There really is very little information other than this. They were married by A.A. Douglas, Justice of the Peace. Their marriage was License No. 23. I just deleted the Delavan, Tazwell County fact. I'm wondering who mistakenly wrote that in. Don't always believe everything in an obituary!

William Henry Daugherty and Martha Pepper Daugherty had 10 children, one being my ggrandfather, George Henry Daugherty. There is a possibility of them having only 9 children. William was said to have had some habits that were detrimental to their marriage. I have heard philandering, gambling, drinking...a "scallowag". No matter what his problems were, I have heard that Martha kicked him out of the house, where he ended up in a poor farm in Kansas. Martha was heard saying, "Don't bury me by that son-of-a-bitch." So needless to say, she's buried in Wessington Cemetery and he, in an unmarked grave in Glen Wood Cemetery, Glen Elder, Kansas. You've got to admire a woman with that kind of guts. I rather believe the gambling part, as William started with quite a bit of land and I'm not sure where it went. I need to do some more research on this.

Martha was the daughter of John Pepper and Rebecca Gordon. She was one of 11 children...many of them well educated. Thomas Shawcross has been very helpful in sharing his Pepper information. We really don't know about the Pepper family before John's parent, Frederick Pepper ( b. 1762 in Pennsylvania) and Deborah Gisburt ( born 1779 in Ohio). Of Deborah's parents, I know nothing. Of Frederick's maybe his father's name...Jacob.

There is so much information needed on the Pepper/Peppers family. Perhaps they were originally from Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment