Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Starting with Jacob Pepper

Let's see...it's been awhile since I've looked at my files on Jacob Pepper. I owe much of my information to James Shawcross. Jacob is my 5th ggrandfather. The names "Pepper" and "Peppers" are used throughout our history. Reminder: Martha Pepper married William Henry Daugherty.

Don't know where or when Jacob Pepper was born. The family could be of German descent. A child of Jacob was Frederick Peppers, born 1762 in PA. Jacob died in 1847 in Richmond, Ross, Ohio.

Frederick married Deborah Gisburt, 1798 in Frederick, MD. Deborah was born in 1779 and died in 1856. She was buried in Union Cemetery, Warren County, Indiana. I just checked my map and Warren County is on the western border of Indiana, about half way down, just west of Layfayette. I need to find out where Union Cemetery is. Frederick died in 1847 in Richmond, Ross, Ohio. He was a farmer and moved to Ross County, Ohio, in 1819.

Frederick and Deborah had 10 children. Our ancestor, John Pepper was the third from the oldest and was born in 1800 in Maryland. In fact when checking things out, all children, except the youngest (Susannah) was born in Maryland. I'd love to find out more about the other children.

I know nothing about John's oldest brother David. His sister, Charolette married Asa Mounts. I believe that there is quite a bit of information concerning Asa. John married Rebecca Goodon. Rebecca was born in 1803 and died 1860 in Iowa. John died two years before her death, in Tazewell, Illinois. Tazewell county is just beneath Peoria. John and Rebecca had 11 children; including my 2nd ggrandmother, Martha.

It looks like John and Rebecca's oldest son, Daniel Frederick , died when 6 months old. Henry Wilson Peppers lived a long life, Hiram Johnson Peppers also enjoyed old age, Anderson Peppers, died at 19, then there was Margaret H. Peppers, next came John Peppers, next came Martha, then Jacob, next George Washington Pepper, than Mary Ann Pepper and lastly Walter Scott Peppers. I'm not realy sure but I think that Martha is the only sibling to have lived in South Dakota.

John and Charolette's sibling, Mary Catherine Pepper was also buried in Union Cemetery, Warren County, Indiana. She had 16 children by Edward Dawson. Edward died at the age of 50 and Mary Catherine married Parrot Smith. All of her children had the Dawson last name. Generally speaking these 16 children were born in Ross county, Ohio or Indiana.

The brother of the above, Daniel, eventually died in Illinois. He and his wife Serena O'Neal had three children.

A sister of the above, Christina Magdalena pepper, married James Hamson and they had 8 children. It looks like Christina and James lived in Illinois, Tazewell County.

Another sibling of OUR Martha's father, John, was Margaret pepper. She married John Brown and they had 10 children.

I'm not sure about Henry, who was born before Margaret, but I have quite a bit of information on Jacob Pepper. It is Jacob that Thomas Shawcrosse is descended from. I'll cover him a bit more later.

The last child of Frederick Peppers and Deborah Gisburt is Susaanah. She was born in 1818 in Ross County, Ohio. She married William Deegan and they had three children. Susannah died in Iroquois County, Illinois. Checking my Atlas, that particular county is located straight east of Peoria, close to the Indiana Border. I still need to visualize each family's migration to the Dakotas. `

1 comment:

  1. Hi Judy, Thanks for the information on Frederick Pepper(s.) I am a descendant of Mary Catherine and Edward Dawson through their seventh child Frederick.

    You said you would like to hear from other family members. The rest of my family history is on my blog: http://dawson-family-history.blogspot.com/ For now I am just working on my direct lineage.

    ReplyDelete