Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Another Photo of Martha Pepper Daugherty


A while back, Randy McGirr gave me this picture that he and Clarence McGirr found. I'm not sure of the situation, but evidently they found some photos that were in pretty bad shape...stuck together, bent, ect. Above, you'll see one Randy gave me that I've really not spent much time thinking about.

On my February 12 blog I shared a picture of Martha Pepper Daugherty (my second great grandmother) as a young woman. The above photo must have been taken shortly before she died. I'm thinking that the writing was either done by Helen Lillian McGirr McNeil or her sister Hazel Margaret McGirr McNeil. The writing says "Grandpa Daugherty's mother. Grandpa George would drive her out to my mother's (Hazel Daugherty McGirr). Mabel McGirr holding Hazel. Helen and Clifford looking in the car at Great Grandma Daugherty."

Martha Pepper Daugherty died in 1924 in Wessington, Beadle County, S.D. Mable's first three children were born quite close to each other. Clifford was born in Sept. 4, 1912; Helen was born July 13, 1914; and Hazel Feb. 12, 1917. Clarence wasn't born until Dec. 5, 1923. Mom (Helen Daugherty Hostvet) wasn't born until Dec. 19, 1921, so was quite young when Martha died and doesn't remember her.

Martha had a lot of siblings. It would be so terrific to get in touch with some of these families. There was Daniel (born and died 1825), Henry Wilson (1826-1880, Hiram Johnson (1828-1915), Anderson, (1831-1850), Margaret (1833-?), John (1835-1920), Jacob (1840-Aft. 1880), Martha (1832-1924), George Washington (b. 1842-1863), Mary Ann (b. 1844-1832), and Walter Scott (b. 1847-Abt. 1880).

I have found a copy of a hand-written "tree" from Xoa Marsh Daugherty, wife of Richard Daugherty listing Martha's siblings and their children. It's quite incomplete but is nice to have. Looking through the list, some Pepper families settled in Kansas City, Ohio, Oregon, Minn., Los Angeles, Iowa, Alaska, Louisianna, a "C" that might mean Canada, and maybe Iceland. It looks like the above George Washington Pepper was unmarried and was stabbed.

There's lots here to research! That's why this blog is good. I'm encouraged to take a closer look at the information that I have in my files and do some searching for family questions.

I am in touch with Thomas Shawcross. His E-Mail is: E-mail Address(es):
shaw8080@bellsouth.net
Thomas has been an enormous help in gathering information on the Pepper family.

Note: Tom just sent this information to me. The book "Lynch Law" by Jim Conover and James Brecher copyright 1992 indicates that George Washington PEPPER was cut badly by William Berry on 1 Sep 1868 in a fight and died on 3 Sep 1868.

No comments:

Post a Comment