Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Ancestors of Silence Waite DeLong

Part of the fun of writing in this blogsite is thinking about long-forgotten people, going back through records, and finding information that almost appears new to my memory. I did this while picking up my very thin looseleaf notebook on the Waite family.

Silence Waite DeLong is my second great grandmother, the wife of Peter DeLong, Sr. She was born May 1810 in Ulster Co., New York. She died in 1883 in whitby Township, Ontario, Canada. In the 1880 census of Tallmadge Twp., Ottawa County Michigan she is listed as a resident. I need to look up that county on the map. Just checked...West of Grand Rapids...also close to Wyoming, a name I remember in my searches.

Silence and Peter had the following children; Oscar, Peter Jr.(my ggrandfather), James, and Horatio.

Silence was the daughter of Montilleon Waite. He was born in NY State and I have him buried in Yorkville, Methodist Cemetery, Wisconsin. Now where is Yorkville? I see that it in Racine Co, Wisconsin. There are two cemeteries in that area. I need to explore the internet a bit to find the correct one and see if there is a listing of people buried.

Montilleon Waite married Lydia Douglass, who died at the young age of 42. They had 13 children. I'd love to find out more about them. Silence was the oldest and was 29 when her mother died.

Montilleon's father was Samuel Wait. Born in 1763 in New Lebanon Co., NY. He married Mary B. Douglass. It would be interesting to know if Mary and Lydia were related. They had 9 children, Montilleon being the oldest.

Samuel's father was also named Samuel, married to Ann Gardner. This Samuel was born in Rhode Island as was Ann. Samuel was a soldier in the Continental army in 1776 in Vermont and Canada. His Rev. War Pension number was S16015. There is an interesting story about Ann...she being a Scottish woman who was stolen by her uncle, her mother's brother; a Gardner, who brought her to America. No researcher has been able to prove these facts. It more appears that Ann was the daughter of John Gardner, a schoolmast of East Greenwich, Kent, RI. They had seven children. Samuel being right in the middle.

I'll go back one more generation, then continue next time. The above Samuel's father was also Samuel. born and died in Rhode Island. He married Sarah Greene Day, about 1724. The above Samuel is the only child I have listed for Samuel and Sarah.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother was Effie DeLong. She married John Roderick McLeod. Effie's father was Albert Montilleon DeLong. Her mother was Emily Turner. Albert was the son of James DeLong and Catherine Camplin. Jameswas the son of Peter and Silence
    Doug MacLellan treuncridhe@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete