Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Huge John Enke Family

I'd like to continue sharing information found at www.the-roundup.com/quaker/bevans. Lydia Enke (my second ggrandmother) and her brothers Josiah (who I wrote about yesterday) and Hiram (check a previous post for info on him) had many brothers and sisters. I don't have the correct count, but find 16 listed in my records. One of these was Mary, who was two years older than Lydia.

Here is her obituary: From the Memphis Reveille - Feb. 6,1936. "Mary Enke and a twin sister, youngest in a family of 15 children, of John and Ann Enke, were born in Ohio, October 24, 1842. Mary spent her girlhood days in Ohio and on October 23, 1870was married to Edmond C. Peel of Morning sun, Iowa. To this union was born one daughter, Maude, who married Charles Wilson. Edmond C. Peel was born Feb. 16, 1847 and died Feb. 4, 1901 and Mary died J. 27, 1936. Survived by daughter and grandchildren; Vernon Wilson of Memphis, MO, Mrs. Ila Weir of Mexico, MO and Buford Wilson of Rutledge Missouri. Burial in N. Bethel Cemetery, Memphis, Missouri.

Note: I don't have a Maude listed as Mary's daughter. Rather I've listed two children, Arthur and Ida. I need to do some research on this. I also don't have a sibling on my listing with the same birthdate as Mary. I do have the 16th child being a "?". Could that have been the twin? Perhaps she was stillborn.

On the Census Record - Ohio, Mahoning Co., Berlin Twp, Sept. 21, 1850 John Enke, born in Pennsylvania - farmer and Ann Enke, born in New Jersey, are listed with Elizabeth, 18, born in Pennsylvania, Sarah (13), b. in Ohio, Hiram 11, born in Ohio, Lydie A.,9, born in Ohio, and Mary 7, born in Ohio.

The same census lists another sibling of Lydia. John Enke, 25, b. in New Jersey - farmer. Also included in this website is John Enke marrying Catharine Grove, Jan. 19, 1854. Another sibling, Francis applied for the license. I just noticed that on my records I had Catharine Grove listed as a wife for John, senior...along with Ann. Changed that one!!!

Also on this website is the 1880 Census of Washington, Des Moines, Iowa. Lydia's sibling Josiah is 51 - Farmer, with Cynthia Ann his wife and their children Elysabeth, 19, Charles, 13, Louis, 10, and Nellie, 8.

Also in this census are Frank (Francis) 21, and Clora, 19. Frank is the son of Josiah. It is interesting to note that Josiah's daughter, Elizabeth, b. 1860, lived in SD in 1913. The last names of her spouses were Shaw and Burton.

No comments:

Post a Comment