Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Back to the Daugherty's - historical documents

I've been gone a bit...teaching a class in the southern part of Wisconsin and hosting a sister of my father's. This will be my first posting for the month of November. I began looking through my Daugherty information and taking the time to contact some of the people that I haven't heard from for awhile.

I am going through "Daugherty - 6", the latest of my Daugherty notebooks. There are rememberances of Clarence McGirr with Uncle Robbie's horses, Linda Keehner's notes on "the Cradle", a note from Scott Klar's daughter, Gayle, Pesiska information from Randy McGirr, friendly note from Bob Wakefield, author of "Trail of the Asses", a fun message from cousin Gwyn Johnson, Mom's Christmas letter after Dad's death (one year ago),and Curt Goehring's description of moving to Germany.

Next came Linda Marcus's memories of her father, Ivan Daugherty, a handwritten letter and poem from Clarence McGirr (I'll miss his delightful correspondences), and a letter from Sheila Tschetter whose husband, Ray is a descendent of Dorothy Daugherty, daughter of my ggrandfather George Daugherty and his second wife, Emma Grace Henninger. I wrote to Sheila and hope to get some information concerning Dorothy as there are still some remaining people of her generation that would like to know what happened to her. This would be a great subject for Prairie Roots. Dorothy is the half sister of my grandfather, Fred I Daugherty, and I know so little of her.

In this 6th book of Daugherty's I shared the cradle story with Tom Shawcross, a relative from the Pepper family. I see that I need to get back to him on the timeline of the story. I next have a copy of the marriage certificate of Fred Daugherty & Irene Carrington (my grandparents). The record of Marriage is dated May 3, 1920, from Miller, Hand, S.D. Fred is 23 and Irene is 22. They are "American." There is a clergyman, Robert Tarleton, but it doesn't say where they were married (church, courthouse, etc.).

I have a small WWI Draft Registration Card, from years 1917-1918 for Fred Irvin Daugherty. A bit hard to read, it shows him at age 21 living Forsyth, Montana. His birthdate is July 2, 1896. Fred's father is born in Peoria, Ill. His eyes are gray and hair is light brown. An interesting document.

I have a 1900 South Dakota, Beadle County Census...also hard to read. I see Martha Daugherty, my gggrandmother, with Fred R Daugherty, her son, and the uncle of my grandfather, Fred I, as head of the household. Martha is 47 at this time and her husband William no longer is living with them. Edward, another son is also living with them. Also on the Census is Martha's daughter, Emma and husband Charles Brady and their children. On the very same page is my ggrandfather William Wilson and spouse Lydia with Peal and Mary. Then there is Hattie Daugherty Place (Martha's daughter) and her children. The other names are Roth and Barnes, which I'm not familiar with. Amazing that so many family members are on the same page. I'm wondering where my ggrandfather, George, another child of Martha is at the time of this Census.

There's certainly more in this "just begun" book than I expected and I'll continue perusing it on the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment