Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

More "Daugherty Folder - 6"


It's kind of fun checking to see all the variety of family information that can be found in my looseleaf notebooks. I picked a fairly empty one but found out that there is so much included. This is a continuation of the last posting concerning the Daugherty family.

I have a copy of the Record of Marriage between Fred Daugherty (grandpa Fred's uncle) and Ona Huddleston, both residents of Wessington SD. Fred is 52 and Ona is 32. The marriage takes place in Huron, SD on Febuary (Feby) 19th, 1924. Because all of my branches of both of my parents have their roots in the Homestead Act, I found some information concerning that time period and included it in my folder. Gayle Klar's (whose father, Scott is the son of my Uncle Ken Daugherty) resume comes next. Following that is the 2008 Christmas letter of cousins Doug and EllaMae Goehring and a Christmas letter of his brother Curt and his wife Joyce.

There is a letter from Twila Parmerly Ford giving her family tree information. Twila's grandmother is Bertha (my grandpa Fred's sister). I think I found Twila's phone number but left a message and haven't heard anything. I need to try contacting her again. I also have a picture of Twila and Ed's semi, "Purple Road Runner" sent Christmas of 1977. Also included is another letter written by Twila and a 1978 Christmas card showing Twila with a mule and horse. I would love to meet her.

In 2004 Linda Marcus and her mother Joan Daugherty (Ivan's widow) organized a Daugherty reunion. I went by myself as mother was in the hospital and typed out the listing of the people attending. Much of the information has changed, but I included it in my notebook. Since then, Beulah has passed away, Marjorie Daugherty Oswald also, Terry Johnson Clark also has died (her mother was Carol Daugherty), and Mark Oswald (Margie's son) has completely fallen off my radar.

Next come copies of Wm. McGirr's obituary, Lucy McGirr's as well, and newsy stuff of Cliff McGirr, which I'll use in the December Prairie Roots. Following this is the Family Group Record of Jack and Mabel McGirr and one of Cliff and Lucy (Rowen) McGirr.

There is this terrific photo of lots Daughertys at a gathering that ocurred when the Parmelies rented a place SW of Wessington after moving back from Wyoming. I haven't published these in Prairie Roots yet. I have a label from a photo that I have not found that lists members of the DeLong family, McNeil family, and Genevieve and Elizabeth DeHaven. Sure wish I could find the photo. I never had the photo, just found this label in a box at Beulah's.

I've got a current photo of Doug and EllaMae Goehring, Barb Goehring Geidel and Lonie Teachout (whose mother, Virginia Daugherty is my mom's double first cousin).

Next is a pretty important document that Randy and Diane McGirr with some help from me, put together on the Daugherty/DeLong family. We included all we knew of the family. Clarence McGirr's illness and subsequent death has stopped the polishing up of the document, but hopefully we'll be able to share it with other members of the family soon.

There is an E-Mail from Linda Marcus concerning "The Axe" found in the museum in Huron, SD. I've also copied an Abe Lincoln Timeline to help organize the dates of the family sotry.

Curt Goehring wrote a wonderful autobiography of him for Prairie Roots and I've kept a copy in my folder. Also included is a story of Delores Daugherty written by one of her daughters.

Next is a copy of Charles Daugherty's obituary and one of Richard Daugherty and Leo Parmely. I love the wedding anniversary picture of Alton and Beulah Daugherty Goehring on their 40th wedding anniversary.

I've got a copy of Laura Carrington Daugherty's obituary, one of Frank Daugherty, and a story of the McNeil Family written by Lois McNeil Duxbury. Grace Lawler Parmely's obituary is next. She was married to Donald Parmely, a cousin of Mothers. Lastly is a Pedigree chart for mom, Helen Irene Daugherty.

Wow! That's a lot of wonderful information in an almost empty folder. I love going through materials again and again and finding exciting information and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment