Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reading and the Daugherty Family


At our house, we are getting a new roof, siding, windows, doors, and whatever is left. The windows in our basement are being replaced, meaning the massive bookshelves that Joe built have to be moved so the windows can be replaced. Good time to go through books...bringing some to the Heritage Center in New Richmond.

I came across The Prince and the Pauper. I loved this book, by Samuel Clemens (a favorite of mine) as a youth. I always check the insides of any book that I donate. Sometimes there is a special writing by the "gifter", making it a "no way...stays here" book. The writing on the this book was carefully written "David Russell Daugherty" Then a signature, the same. Lower down was included, Bonilla, S.Dak. There is no date on the book. It was published by The Goldsmith Publishing Company.

This got me thinking. I visited Bonilla, SD probably at the age of 3 and perhaps a bit later. I distinctly remember the building that Gram Irene Carrington Daugherty and Grandpa Fred Daugherty and Uncle Dave Daugherty lived. It was like a store...and I remember a machine for fixing shoes. You went upstairs and there was David's room. And there were books...so many of them...I remember Uncle Wiggly especially. I also remember an Uncle Wiggly game.

The love of reading was very obvious in this home that was also a business in the middle of a tiny town in the prairie. Note: Visiting Bonilla this summer, I came across an almost-ghost town. Very little exists anymore. A couple of homes, and that's about it. I remember a comfortable place to settle in and enjoy good literature. Mom always said that her grandmother, Irene Carrington Daugherty read alot to her children. Education was very important to her. Mom also relates the interest her grandfather, George Daugherty had in reading. When visiting her grandfather, you were assumed to be sitting quietly and reading.

I grew up loving books, with early children books embedded in my memory. I have my parents, grandparents, and David to thank for that wonderful love of the printed word.

Uncle David resides in Pennsylvania with his wife Maria.

No comments:

Post a Comment