Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

April 14, 2013 - Family Letter, to Cousin Gwyn...

I was going to continue part two of the Bartholomew Family, and will do that, but I must admit a love of personal letters.  I found this letter addressed to cousin Gwyn, not sure yet who is writing it....Probably one of the McGirr cousins... I now know it was Helen..  Gwyn sent me a bundle of papers that she had collected...most of which I already had, but a few "new" pieces.

"Dear Gwyn...Just a note to send with this material.  I'm sure you will find something to use.  It's interesting how I got these papers. 

Read the letters and you will see Lee Tibbets, a cousin of your Grandfather Freddie and my mother, Mabel Daugherty got in touch with another cousin of our parents who then wrote asking me if I'd like to have these.  I had copies made of the family History written by Uncle William.  (William Henry Daugherty).  You can keep their copy.

Lee Tibbets was Dick Daugherty's only child.  She lives in Aberdeen, SD yet.  I see her now and then.  She worked at the Aberdeen newspaper for over 25 years.

Edna Pesiska was Aunt Hattie (Daugherty)'s Place's (daughter).  I always enjoyed her.  She used to visit us at Rapid City.

Somehow I can't get to letter writing.  We keep very busy here in this small town.  It's a good place for older people.  It does have a very active younger population.  The school is still active.  A very good general store is located here.  I believe it is quite a undertaking to make up the family history.  I'm glad to send these papers to you.

We have enjoyed hearing from Pam and Dave (Gwyn's sister and brother-in-law) and keep their childrens' pictures in a folder.  They are all going to be returned to their family some day.

I've been sorting pictures and making up albums for all our families.  I do this so someday they will receive their own.  Enough for now...Your mother's cousin, Helen McGirr McNeil.

Now in a different pen...instead of red, black...probably from Helen:

Our parents were:
John McGirr (called Jack)
Mabel Daugherty McGirr
Their children - 2 boys and 2 girls
    Clifford McGirr
    Helen McGirr McNeil
    Hazel McGirr McNeil
    Clarence Mc Girr

We have quite a large family if I started to write aout each of the families it would take many pages.

Clifford married Lucy Rowen.  They had 6 children.  Donald, Sharon, Denny, Terry, Lana is a twin of Linda (deceased).

Helen married Lloyd McNeil.  They have James McNeil married Shelly Jefferd.  jacquelyn Ann McNeil married James Morrell, Nancy Rae McNeil married Larry Lee.

Hazel McGirr married Chester McNeil.  4 children.  Clifford McNeil married Beverly Harden, Marilyn married Wm. Hershly, Susan married Gary Shepherd, Carol, married Wm. Kapperich.

Clarence McGirr married Norma Gordon.  They had 2 children, Randal McGirr married ?? and Cindy McGirr.

I wish that Helen had written more about her family.  It is the small details of each person that are so important.  I found out this weekend that another cousin of Mom's has passed away.  I had met Merlyn Parmely only twice, but he seemed like someone with good memories of his childhood.  This leaves only Mom, her brother Ken, and possibly Pearl, the daughter of Mom's Uncle Charlie that are still living of the Daugherty cousins.  There are a few Carrington Cousins alive yet. 
Helen and Cliff McGirr
 

No comments:

Post a Comment