Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Monday, April 15, 2013

April 15, 2013 - notes from Elizabeth DeHaven Burton

I have never met Elizabeth DeHaven Burton, the first cousin of Mom's.  She is always called Elizabeth...never any shortening of that beautiful name.  Mom didn't get to see her much, but had a huge admiration for her, as did other family members.  Eva Elizabeth died in 2006. 

This family record was typed out by her and sent to cousin Gwyn.  At the time Elizabeth lived in Spearfish, SD.  She and her husband Clark had one child.  I haven't been able to successfully contact him, though I do know his address and have made many attempts.  Hopefully, he will get back to me. 

Elizabeth's husband:  Clark Alan Burton, born Feb. 25, 1923, in Academy, SD.  Married Eva Elizabeth DeHaven, Aug. 10, 1947 in Rapid City, SD. Residence, Spearfish, SD, Occupation Aircraft Mechanic.  Achievements: Received Aviation Mechanic Safety Award from State of SD in 1962.  Member of United Church of Christ (Congregational), choir member 1948-'81.  Treasurer of Cub Scout Pack #117 1964-67.  Member of building committee for church.  Graduate BS in Aeronautical Maintenance Engineering, Calif. Polytechnic at San Louis Obispo, Calif. 1946.  His father was Fred Burton, a farmer, his mother was Goldie Prather, whose father was W.A. Prather. 

Eva Elizabeth DeHaven Burton; Birth Date, Dec. 12, 1923, in Wessington, SD.  Married Aug. 10, 1947 in Rapid City, SD.  Occupation before Marriage, Teacher.  Achievements: MS Education, 1969.  Organizations: Professional Education Organizations, Congregational Church & Choir; Kappa Delta Pi (honorary Scholastic) ,Delta Kappa Gamma.  Schools: Wessington, Grade and HS, Northern State, Aberdeen, SD, Black Hills State, Spearfish, SD; Univ. of Colorado.  Father's name: Thomas DeHaven, Auctioneer and cattleman.  Mother's Maiden name, Helen Daugherty, maternal Grandfather's name, George Daugherty.  Remarks:  Assoc. for children with learning disabilities; Coronet Club-civic Organization 1948-1981; Nat'l Education Assoc.; SD Education Assoc.; Black Hills Reading Council; Board of Trustees of United Church of Christ, Spearfish 1960-66; Diaconate 1975-81; 30 years a choir member. 

Elizabeth's Son:
Frederick Scott Burton, born March 3, 1956, in Deadwood, SD.  Married Patricia Louise Madendorpt, Dec. 24, 1975, in Denver, Colorado.  She was born Aug. 1955 in Michigan.  Remarks: As a 12 year old and 6th grader, Frederick would like to be a scientist.  In 1982 he will be a journeyman cabinet maker. 

Frederick and Patricia's Children:

Christina Louise Burton, born Nov. 16, 1976, in Denver, Colo.
David Paul Burton, born April 3, 1978, in Denver, Colo.
Tara Beth Burton, born May 7, 1982, in Denver
Michael Scott Burton, b. July 25, 1984 in Denver
Myra Lynn Burton, October 3, 1986, in Denver. 

I'm getting no response from Frederick or Patricia.  Perhaps I need to check on their children.  Without Frederick's cooperation, I have no genealogy connection with Elizabeth's family.  Her husband, Clark died in 1991.  This lack of communication is not a good thing.  I have no photos of Elizabeth.





3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth was my favorite teacher. She taught me in 4th and 6th grade. I think she took special interest in me because I was a poor, dirty kid from the other side of town. Her gift to me was the love of reading. My only wish was that I had known she lived in Denver (where I now live) prior to her death. I would have loved to show her the man I have become thanks in large part to her. What I can do however is to give you information on her son who's name is Rick (the same as mine). Here is the link to Mrs Burton's obit..
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=dfl&GRid=13276876

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still figuring out the reply part of a blogsite. I love your comments and they correlate with what I've heard from other family members. HOpe to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. I would love to keep in touch with you. Your comments are similar to those of my mothers (Elizabeth's first cousin).

    ReplyDelete