Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 23, 2013 - More Family Letters

An interesting pile of papers that cousin Gwynn sent me.  This one was written August, 1977 to Helen and Lloyd McNeil from Edna Place Pesicka.  Helen McGirr McNeil was Mom's first cousin and Edna was the daughter of Mom's great aunt Hattie Daugherty Place.  Letters are something so important.  I feel like I know Edna better.  She sounds like an energetic, caring, curious person.

It starts out "Not much of a letter"...the writing is large and bold. 

"Dear Helen and Lloyd...I've tried several times to get you by phone - So here goes.  I got back to Dupree from my California and Washington trip last Saturday.  I left by plane from Rapid City (Bobby, Wendy and Jimmy Eaton were with me).  That would be Edna's daughter Barbara, two of Barbara's children, Wendy and Jimmy).  on June 3, flew via Denver to Sacramento where Lee and his family live.  Could be Edna's son Willard Lee. Dick's (another son, Richard) are at Buena Park so I visited them too.  Also Frances (Edna's daughter) Garden Grove and Frances' husband took me to Vera Bradey Erickson ( the daughter of Emma Daugherty, sister of Edna's mother Hattie) on a Wed. and I visited them till Sat.  Dick and Charleen drove down for me.  We tried several times to get Nancy by phone without success.  That is probably the daughter of Helen and Lloyd.  ? looked fairly good, I thought but isn't so good.  I wonder if he knows!  Vera doesn't think he does.  Not sure who she means...can't read the name.  Could be Vera's husband. 

A coincidence - Your letter, also one from Leland, Uncle Dick's (Richard Daugherty) which I am enclosing with this.  She took down your name and address but I thought you can write her.  I have slept more than anything else since coming home.  I rode in a Toyota pick up with a camper top in the back (I did not ride in back).  We left Waterville, which is in Wenatchee? community at 7:45 Thurs. morning and got to Rapid City the next morning at 8:15.  Kenn Bunn, (Edna's son-in-law) his 11 year old son and ? (The bottem of each page is somewhat indecipherable).  And there's been a house full every day since then.  Yesterday just a few.  I got up around 9:30 AM.  Hope to see you sometime.  Glad your mother has so nice a home.   Love, Edna

I know so very little about my mother's father's people.  They came to Wessington in 1882.  Grampa was William H. Daugherty.  In line came John William - 1862, Hattie D. Place  - 1863.  George Daugherty, Edd, Fred, Emma J. Bradey - 1876, Richard Daugherty, 1879.  Between George and Edd was a boy who died in infancy.  Another between Edd and Emma.  But when I don't know. 

I know Grandma Daugherty (Martha Pepper Daugherty) was born in Chillicothey, Ohio.  I thought in 1849.  Grandpa was a lot older than she, but probably the papers Leland has will tell that. 

Your surgery must have been something.  I hope you get your strenth back and your health.  Bonnie told Linda Keehner (Linda Pesicka - Edna's granddaughter) about it.  She felt terrible for you.  Judy and Dave Gano (Edna's granddaughter and husband) lost their baby 2 years, 10 mos. old in a pickup accident the middle of July.  I was in Washington but I am so glad Bobby came home after 3 weeks visit in California.  I haven't seen Judy yet.  Here the letter ends.  Obviously a page is missing.

Another letter from Edna to Helen and Lloyd...date unknown...
Dear Helen and Lloyd...In November I spent 2 weeks and 2 days at Judy Eaton Gano's, near Meadow and had a wonderful time.  We did a lot of going to neighbors, on one occasion to a fabric party.  15 or more neighbor women present.  That was a first for me.  Then one day we went to Bison, where they do their banking.  So we stopped there on business.  Then went to Hettinger, ND to take urine specimen of her little girl who had kidney infection.  We shopped there in four places.  Thank goodness there were chairs in all the places, or I would never have made it.  That evening we went home, had supper then went back to Bison (29 miles).  I visited Dave's mothers' and Judy had to attend 4H meeting.  She's the president or chairman of all 4 H clubs of 3 or 4 counties.  We got home at midnight.

One day we were in Faith and another day we went to Lemmon and shopped.  And on Thanksgiving Day we went to Belle Fourche to Melvin Eatons.  I think there were 38 at that dinner.  The next day Judy brought me home.  I only had 2 naps while gone.  Here I usually get 2 a day.  I did read 7 books while there - 3 of Zane Grey when I couldn't lie down nights on account of phlegm in throad.  I sat up and read.

This has all been ME and I stuff.  How are you both?  And how is your Mother?  Doc and Lillie and I went to Highmore about two months ago.  It's wonderful how her mind is so alert and her memory too.  Ahead of mine.  She is writing about Mabel Daugherty McGirr. 

I talked to Vera Bradey Erickson a few nights ago.  They were both about the same she said.  She asked to be remembered to you.

I suppose, Helen, that you are making quilts,hand over fist.  Has Mr. & Mrs. Casey Weaver called on you?  His grandfather lives in Quinn and they are in Wall.  She has been so lonesome.  They were married this summer.  And he does carpenter work.  Her grandmother lives in the apt. next door to me.  I think you met her..Mrs. Mitchell.  I told them to go see you.  I think you and she would like each other.

Unless some unforseen trouble comes up I don't have to go back to my doctor until middle of March.  So I'm trying to follow his instructions to the letter. 

Will you be having a family get together this Christmas?  Or are they too seperated to get home? 

I want just a quiet day.  Even the newspapers are too! too! full of turmoil.  It sounds like we were in for something.  Best of everything to you...with love, Edna.
Edna Pesicka

No comments:

Post a Comment