Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hattie Daugherty Place' Letter - Part Two

A continuation of copied letter...

"Jack (daughter Audrey's husband, John Sisco) is having ear trouble, doesn't look nor feel very well. Audrey is OK. She is canning. They have lots of peppers...all red now. The long green ones too. Long hot red ones and pimentoes so thick on a plant you can't see where we pick. We each picked a big paper sack full.

Charlie Daugherty (Grandpa Fred's brother) just stopped and said he was taking a prospective buyer out to see his farm Sunday. He has 480 acres here (Wessington, SD).

I left my geraniums in ground but will take them up and in pots tomorrow. Two of my Dahlias bloomed - both dark red. The other two may bloom yet. I picked and pickled all my beets before I left. The Lichty girls told Audrey they didn't have any crab apples this year. I served my last jar to my Kansas guests and they thought them fine. I had them, Audrey, Jack, Fred, (my grandpa) Charlie and Bob (his brothers) for dinner Tues and Wed. We were at Audreys for supper Wed. eve. The Reeds (?) have written and I must write them tomorrow. Edna D. (Hattie's niece & daughter of her brother Fred, also sister of the below mentioned Johnny) writes her beau will be home in Oct. She gets out (of the Army)Nov. 9th. They will be married then and come for a visit then.

The Peters (the above Della & spouse) said the next time they came would drive up to see you folks. Collie (?) Robins is selling tomotoes for $1.50 a bu. I have ordered a bushel. Will can and make more tomato juice. I buy lots of the canned juice during a year.

I called on Helen McNeil and Cora A. and Blanche Wheelock yesterday. (Helen is Hatties great grand niece). Mr. Beadles is home from hospital - walked by here today. Is still very week. I think his operation was something like Jacks. It's cool nights and airy comfortable in the day. Fred and Florence Brown celebrate their 40th anniversary next Sunday at Church Basement.

I wish I could get out a Wessington Times which tells of Johnney Daugherty receiving a Silver star from Army Dept. for bravery. (Johnny is Hattie's nephew. - son of Fred and Ona.) He never mentioned it to anyone, but knew he was due for it. It seems when he received his last wound and was waiting to be found and taken out, he discovered an ammunition dump on fire and endangering the set-up. He crawled to it and was extinguishing it and refused to leave for first aid till fire was gone. He had the seat of his trousers burned in the fray. He was asked by the department to name a place and time for the honoring event of presenting the star. That was while I was away. He wrote back to Department to send star by mail. I heard that this star was the third highest honor bestowed by the Army.

Of course John wouldn't want any public powwow about it. Nor does he wear or display any of his decorations received in war. Should I ever get hold of a paper I'll send the clipping.

Bob (Grandpa Fred's brother) took his horse to State Fair and received a first prize, also sweepstake money.

We were over to Dick's (Hattie's brother) Wed. He looks,much better and has been disking and harrowing in the field. They said they'd be over soon. Look for them Sunday.

I surely got behind with my letter writing while I was gone and must employ every spare moment till I catch up. Wish you could make us a visit this fall. Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment