Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thirza Houghton - Bartholomew Family

On January 6th, of this year, I wrote about my 2008 visit to Buelah Cemetery near Miller, SD. (We also visited there again this summer.) I mentioned the burial site of Thirza Carrington Conkey, sister of my great grandfather Lucius Carrington. Along side Thirza is the stone of her son, Glen. It was a rather lonely, sad visit.

Thirza is a rather unusual name. She was named after her grandmother, Thirza Houghton Bartholomew, mother of Mary Montgomery Bartholomew Carrington. I don't know much about "Thirza Sr." but I'll share what I do have in my records.

Thirza Houghton was born on May 8, 1799 in Jaffrey, New Hampshire. Jaffrey is located at the bottem of the state, quite close to the Massachusetts border. Thirza married Isaac Bartholomew March 23, 1818 at Potsdam, St. Lawrence, NY. Potsdam is located above the Adirondack Mountains, in northeastern New York, not far from the Canadian Border. She died on Jan., 6, 1881 in Potsdam.

Thirza and Isaac had many children. The oldest was Sarah, born 1819. Nothing more is known of her. James was born in 1820. He was a farmer and remained in the state of New York. He married Polly Wells and they had four children...nothing is known of them other than their names and the spouses of some. One daughter, Alma, had the middle name of Thirza. John Houghton Bartholomew is next, born 1822. He was a postmaster in New Madrid (now Waddington), New York and was married to Lydia Hall. Eliza A. was next, born 1824. She died in 1854 in Dakota County, Minn. and married Walton Brown. I don't believe they had any children.

Betsy was born in 1826. She only lived 20 years. I know nothing else about her. Giles was born 1828. He died in 1873. His spouse was Jane Meiggs. Again, I don't think there were any children. Minerva's birthdate was 1830. She married Harmon Carpenter and lived some of her life in Michigan. I know of no children. Julia is next, being born in 1832. She married Walton Brown after her sister Eliza died. Walton may have been known as Nathan. They married in Milwaukee, WI and at some time lived in South Dakota. They had two daughters named Nora and Cora.

I would love to know more about the descendents of Mary Montgomery Bartholomew Carrington's siblings. It is one of these descendents that did much genealogy work on the family. I have no idea which line that person came from.

Mary Montgomery Bartholomew is the next child born of Thirza and Isaac. She is my second ggrandmother and the mother of Lucius. She was born in 1835 and died in Michigan, in 1918. She is buried in Huron, Co., the "fingernail" of Michigan's "thumb." Following her was Jerome Trueman Bartholomew, born in 1837 and dying in 1838. He died after falling into a tub of hot water and is buried in Waddington, New York. The twins are last. Lewis and Lucius (Bartholomew...not Carrington)were born in 1839. Lewis married Abbie Rutherford and they had 8 children, of who I only know their names. Lewis bought and sold cattle in Byinville, Missouri. I don't see that community in the Atlas.He quarreled with his son Henry George over business and money and shot himself in front of his son. Lucius married Lottie Rutherford. Perhaps a sister of Abbie. He fought in the Army in 1861. It must have been the Civil War. I don't have any children listed for them.

I'd love to know more about Mary's siblings and their descendents. One of these descendents was the genealogist who compiled the history of the Bartholomew family. I have no idea which branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment