Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

February 16, 2013 - Edith DeLong Evans, Part 2

I have an original letter written Jan. 3, 1985 to my cousin Gwyn from Edith M. Evans.  Our family knows so little about our ggrandmother, Catherine Elizabeth DeLong Daugherty's family.  Edith is the daughter of Catherine Elizabeth's (Libby) brother Edward Peter DeLong.  She was born in 1903 and was married twice, first to Lyle William Noble, whom she divorced in 1936, after being married about six years.  They had a son David Noble.  I know nothing about him.  Edith then married Wesley Evans, who she divorced in 1945.  Her last known address was in Huron SD, although Edith mentions Portland in the below letter. 

As I am typing this, I realize that there was a previous letter written to Gwyn.  So these two correspondences are mixed up.

I was totally unaware of Edith's family helping out Grandpa Fred's family after their mom's death.   I nearly covet the album that she mentions. I don't know what document from ggrandpa George she is talking about.  I'll write to Gwyn and find out if she remembers.



Jan. 3, 1985 -  Dear Gwyn -

Well I have finally went thru a lot of old papers and letters and maybe this stuff won't do you any good - don't send it back.  I'm trying to get things like this, to people who are interested in it.  I find many of the younger generations are interested and of course I'm about the only one who kept any records.  Some may not be the correct dates, but they are as given to me.  When I kept up on the Browns on Mother's side and the Daughertys - it is something.  There's so many of them.

Hazel McNeil I think sent me a Rapid City address this Xmas and I find I've lost the address.  If sent to Wessington for a forward she'll get it.  However I have a correct address of Helen McNeil and she knows Hazel's address.  I'm sure she took most of the pictures of the families of DeLongs and sisters and Uncle Andy's in Canada, when here a year ago.  There are so many I'm glad I did all I did when I was younger.  I get so confused now trying to keep them straight.  I can no longer do it and my son didn't know many and isn't interested in all the South Dakota ones. 

This document appears to have Uncle George's taken off of the original but this one is as close to the old one that is probably around.  I can't remember how I got it.  It was signed by Uncle George Daugherty.  I think aunt Libby (Elizabeth), my dad's sister died in childbirth.  I'm not sure.  After she died (quite young) I can remember my grandma Brown and my mother tell about going down and doing the washing and baking bread for the family once a week so Uncle George could get along.  The kids were all little - boys were probably in their teens.  Maybe you can figure it out.  I probably have some old pictures you might be interested in but they are all glued in the old album.  Lowell, my brother wants them. 

Lowell had 2 girls Sandra 32 - Ella 30 now.  Ella had both bubar and spinal polio when she was 13 mo. old.  She was in the Shriners Hosp. until she was 16 years old.  Many surgeries here in Portland.  She finished H.S. with honors.  The last 2 years she married and Xmas day had a baby girl.  cesearian surgery.  She has been in a wheelchair for years - paralyzed from the legs down.  She works at a hosp. and at the head of her department.  She's going back to work in Feb. she says.  Makes good money, keeps a beautiful home too and has her own car - her 3rd one and drives all over Portland. 

Well I hope you can read this.  I'm good from my double hernia - but I have such a bad back.  Almost in a wheel chair.  Arthritis is so bad in my hands and shoulders and back.  Much love Edith


No comments:

Post a Comment