Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

February 17, 2013 - William & Harriet Daugherty

I'm still checking through my file containing interesting subject matter for future Prairie Roots Newsletters.  I'll be finishing the newsletter in the next couple of weeks for the month of March.  Ellen L. had sent me a wonderful run-down on the Daugherty family, 'as she knows it.'  I want to share this amazing letter and while doing it, double check Ellen's information with what I have in my Family Tree program.  This will take some time, but might help pull into focus the many questions I have of this family.  Ellen has shared a great deal of her research with me, of which I am very appreciative.

My totally unsubstantiated guess:  James William's parents came from Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man.  The first is from a notation that William Henry Daugherty made concerning his grandparents and that the Daugherty/Doherty/O'Daugherty etc. are prevalent in the north of Ireland and the second is based on Grandpa Fred's comments that the Isle of Man is where the family originated. 

"As promised I will try to give you a run down on the Daugherty family as I know it.  I have been trying to break down a few walls in my genealogy but this family has been difficult.  Anyway, here goes...

I have always been told by older relatives that the first Daugherty to live in Iowa was James William Daugherty, born about 1798 in Virginia.  I have not been able to locate his father and mother as of yet (the BIG WALL).  Most records I have seen, however, list him as William Daugherty.  I will call him William throughout the rest of this report. 

William Daugherty married Harriet Beddon on 9-24-1825 in Allegany County, Maryland according to Ancestry.com, Maryland Marriages, 1655-1850.  Note: I have always had Harriet's last name as Beddows.  I have been unable to find where William died and is buried.  He was alive for the 1870 Federal Census and living in Allen Grove Township, Mason County, Illinois.  This is the location where I believe his brother was living.  I have traveled to the area but did not locate any useful information at the time.  (Another trip in the making).  I have not been able to locate William and Harriet since that time.  This is about the time many family members are on the move to various locations around the country.  I do have a notation that Harriet died about 1873, place unknown and burial unknown.  Since my wall with William and Harriet was not moving I decided to focus on the whereabouts of their children.  The following is a breakdown for each child as I know it."

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment