Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March 10, 2013 - Martha Wilson Cavenee Hobkirk, Using Ancestry.com

I am still chosing one ancestor from main branches of Mom's family and using Ancestry.com to find more information.  In these particular postings I won't be sharing much of what I already have in my family files, but I'm interested in finding and writing about new discoveries.  While doing this, I'm learning how to make better use of Ancestry.com.  I've been a member for a long time, and really haven't taken advantage of this program.

My choice for the next couple of days is Martha Wilson, sister of gggrandfather William White Wilson.  I don't have a middle initial for her. She was born in 1838 in Pennsylvania.  While visiting Art C. in Wessington, I was able to scan several photos of the Hobkirk family.  I now know something about Martha's second marriage, but would like a clearer picture of this woman.  She divorced her first husband, Wesley Cavenee in 1865 and the same year married Robert Hobkirk (Oct. 13, 1865, Knox County).  I'd love to find some Hobkirk family.

In the 1870 Census, Martha and Robert Hobkirk were farming.  I forgot to jot down where.  Will have to go back to Ancestry and find out.  The following children were listed...James - 5, Mary J. - 4, Walter - , Anna (not sure of age).  Then there was Chester Cavenee - 16 "working farm", William Cavenee - 14, Mary E. (Elizabeth) Cavenee - 12 "school", and John Cavenee (Frank) - 8 "school". 

The 1880 Census of Elba, Knox Cty, Illinois, had Martha and Robert with Franklin Cavenee (the above John Franklin Cavenee) - 16, James Hobkirk - 14, Mary Jane - 11, Annie - 10.  They also had a Patrick Murphy listed as a farmhand. 

In the 1900 Census Martha is 64 and Robert is 66 and they are living in Yates City, Knox, Illinois.  I also found in later checks that they lived in Salem, Knox, Ill. that same year.  I'm wondering how close these communities are to each other.  Robert was born in Scotland and immigrated in 1855.

From the Burdick/Burns family tree, Martha married Wesley Cavenee, June 12, 1851 in Pennsylvania.  Some material was incorrect as "Wesley" was listed as Martha's child, born 1824.  Their children included Chester - born 1853, William H. - 1855-1920, Mary Elizabeth - born 1850.  I have Chester, Elizabeth, John Franklin, and Charles.  Is Chester a nickname for Charles? 

According to some records I found, Martha was born in 1839, Luzerne, PA.  That would make her 14 when Chester was born.  Wesley was born March 11, 1824 and died in Illinois.  His parents were Joseph Jr. Cavenee and Catherine White.

In the 1850 Census, Wesley was 25 and a laborer for the family of Ranes.

Martha Wilson Cavenee Hobkirk
 
I don't have a death date for Wesley.  Wondering why a woman with children at that time period would get a divorce and immediately marry another man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment