Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

March 8, 2013 - Lydia Gilbert Carrington, Using Ancestry.Com

This time I'm moving over to Mom's maternal side and chose my 3rd great grandmother, Lydia Gilbert Carrington.  She was born in 1802 in Litchfield, Conn. and married Steven Hall Carrington.  They had three children; William Ward (my 2nd great grandfather), Mary, and Nancy.  I know very, very little about any of them. 

Early next morning...I have to say that I was disappointed in my research of this woman.  Actually I'm always disappointed every time I try to find out more about the Carrington family.  There are so many questions about the fraternal side of Gram Irene Carrington Daugherty's family.  I can go way back to the 18th century in America...but just names and dates.  The Tuttle family, that comes in has some interesting information, but I lack understanding of the Carringtons from Dr. Peter Carrington of New Haven, Conn. to the child of Gram's brother, Hugh. 

Using Ancestry, I did get to see the original Census of Grand Chute, Brown County, WI, 1850.  This definitely describes the Carrington family of Lydia and S.H. with their children: Mary, 20, and William 13.  Nancy must not have been born yet.  I do know, through one communication, that Nancy did live into adulthood.  This Census says that William was a shoemaker with land at a 700 (dollar?) value. Nearby names on the census were Warner and Beach.  Both of these names are included in my Family Tree program and are from the Connecticut area.  An interesting detail!  I'll have to go back to the original and check first names.

What were they doing there?  I looked up Brown County and it's way up by Green Bay, WI.  I didn't see a Grand Chute, but there is a Little Chute.  I need to check up on the location of Grand Chute.  Lydia and Stephen had come from Connecticut.  I wonder what brought them to that area. 

Lydia Gilbert Carrington was married at the age of 17 - Nov. 27, 1822.  She died at age 53 and was buried in St. Peters Episcapal Cemetery, in Cheshire, Conn.  They must have moved back to Conn. from Wisconsin. Stephen was from Colebrook, Conn.  Stephen also died in Conn. 

There was an application for Sons of the American Revolution that was supposedly concerning Lydia, but I think it was misfiled as her name was not mentioned.

I again found evidence that Stephen was married briefly to Marcia Bristol.  Their marriage date was Nov. 8, 1819.  I believe that Marcia lived a normally long life (died 1889) so there must have been a divorce.  I didn't know that they had a daughter, Maria, born April 23, 1821.  Another avenue to check.

Looking back, I guess the Ancestry search was worth my time.  Again, I must think about patience. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment