Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Friday, March 15, 2013

March 15, 2013 - Mary Montgomery Bartholomew, Using Ancestry.com

I'm not sure why I picked my 2nd Great Grandmother, Mary Montgomery Bartholomew.  The Bartholomew family is not a major tree of mine, but it is the one that I first found information about and after that, I was hooked on learning about all my family roots.  I have always wondered about Mary's middle name and someday I hope to find a possible clue to the name "Montgomery".  Mary was born in 1835 and died in 1918.  She married Gram Irene Carrington Daugherty's grandpa, William Ward Carrington.  GGrandpa Lucius Carrington was one of their four children.

Mary has been a puzzle to me...not just her name, but there simply hasn't been much information on her.  And certainly no photographs, though I did find photos of her mother and father.  She must have been a courageous woman...coming from the East (Waddington, New York) settling first in the LaCrosse area of Wisconsin, then somewhere in Minnesota, and after Indian uprisings, going back to Wisconsin, then on to South Dakota, eventually living in Michigan.  Let's see what help, if any, that Ancestry can avail itself in. 

Too bad that women have had less written about them than men.  I am still looking for personal stories and anecdotes, which are seldom found, no matter who I search for.  Where can one view diary entrants or personal letters?

Looking at the Dwitt/Richardson family tree, Mary's death is Lake City, Huron, Michigan.  I'd love to visit that area.  I'd need to take the ferry across Lake Michigan to get there.  Might be a compelling journey.

Michigan Deaths and Burial Index, 1867-1995 states that Mary M. Carrington death place is Hume, Huron, Michigan.  She was 84 at her death.

1860 U.S. Census - Mary is 25 and a Housekeeper, living with her father Isaac (farmer, born in Vermont) and Mother Theria (Thirza) born in N.H.  Mary's sister Sally (41) is in the household as well as Lewis (21), Abby (22) and Franklin.  Not sure who Franklin is unless it is Lucius' middle name.  Value of Isaac's real estate is 3900 and his person value is 700. 

In the Grennan Tree, Mary is a Resident of Neshonoe, La Crosse, Wisconsin and age 35.   In 1880 She is 45 and a resident of Hamilton, Wisconsin.  In 1910 Mary is 83 and a resident of Lake City, Michigan, where she died.

There are a couple of trees that state Mary's death was in Wessington, South Dakota.  This is not correct.  I know that she lived there, with her children, possibly a brief time period, but I am guessing she went to Michigan with her daughter Lizzie.  She was in Gilbert Township, South Dakota in 1910.

No comments:

Post a Comment