Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

March 14, 2013 - John Enke, Using Ancestry.com

Hopefully I'm going to find out something additional about my 3rd Great Grandfather, John Enke.  His daughter Lydia married William White Wilson, Gram Irene Carrington Daugherty's grandmother. 

John Enke (1788-1856) has some interesting connections...with German Hessian Soldiers fighting with the British in the Revolutionary War.  And his wife Susan, came from a very interesting area in Pennsylvania.

To begin with, I found dates of John's birth and death (1788-1856).  In Ancestry I found his father to be Lewis Jacob, rather than the Jacob Lewis that I have included in his family tree. 

It was wonderful seeing his baptism announcement at Heideberge Church, Heidelberg Township, Lehigh County, PA.  The parents are listed as Ludwig Encki and Elisabeth.  "Johannes - child born Sept. 5, 1789."   As I am aware of the many spellings of "Enke" it didn't surprise me to find this particular spelling.  I am curious as the the Ludwig vs. Lewis and would enjoy learning from a Germanic language user if they are the same.

In the 1830 US Census, John Ach (Enk, Anck) was in Mauch Chunk, Northhampton, Penn.  I would love to visit this community.  I believe it is called Jim Thorpe in present time.  In some of my previous postings, a long time ago, I had written about Mauch Chunk, PA. 

In the 1850 Census there is John, aged 62, home in this year Berlin, Mahoning, Ohio.  Ann is 52 and was born in New Jersey.  There are Elizabeth, 18 (b. PA), Sarah, 13 (b. Ohio, as are her youngest siblings), Hiram, 11, Lydia (my 2nd great grandmother) 9, Mary 7.  Ann must have been 45 when she had her last child.  There is a possibility of Ann and John having 16 children.  This number needs to be verified. 

I found a wonderful piece about Alfred, son of Hiram, grandson of John and added it to my family tree, where it is copied in its entirety.  Let me know if you are interested in this information.

I also found Sheldon Enke, Jesse's grandson in an Alumni Record of Gettysburg College.





1 comment:

  1. Judy, My name is Zona Siler. I am Claude Enkey's daughter (Original spelling of the name was Enke.) (My mother changed the spelling to Enkey) Claude's father's name was David Enke, he was the son of Argalia Enke, who was the son of Edward Enke, who was Son of John Enke, son of Ludwig Lewis Jacob Enke. Jacob was indeed a Hessian soldier. I did some research on the name Ludwig, I found out that it is not a name, it is a title representing Royalty or great Warrior. His name is Lewis Jacob Enke. My E-mail address is zonasiler@suddenlink.net I would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete