Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

March 31, 2013 - More of David Daugherty's Family Story

I've lost count on ennumerating these segments of Uncle David Daugherty's Family Story.  These comments take place in the Wessington, SD area in the 1940's.  Very fascinating reading.  

David Daugherty
"We would occasionally go to Wessington which was where we originally called home.  We would visit aunts and uncles on the way.  We would stop at Uncle Charley and Aunt Millie Daugherty's farm.  He would always take his eye out for us and role it around his mouth.  Then we would stop at Aunt Mabel and Uncle Jack McGirr's farm.  Aunt Mabel would always have cookies and something to drink.  Uncle Jack always had a smile.  It seemed like it was part of his face.  We would then go to Wessington and visit Uncle Frank
and Aunt Laura Daugherty for the rest of the day.  I had a friend in town, Gord? forgot his name.  Sometimes my cousin Marjorie would entertain me.

 Wessington was bigger than Bonilla and still surviving.  It has a very wide main street and everyone would come to town.  The women would shop and talk, the men would drink beer, shoot pool and sit outside and talk and the kids would play and go to the movie.  The movie was only shown one night a week, two showings.  They also had a popcorn machine.  We also visited my Dad's brother, Rob Daugherty, his Uncle Fred Daugherty and his Aunt Hattie Place.  We would also visit my mother's Aunt Pearl Cavenee.  Memorial Day was always a big day at the Wessington Cemetery.  We also had many family reunions for my mother's family (Wilsons).

Holidays on the farm were different.  Everyone would try to get home for Christmas.  We would always have a tree (no lights), trimmed with balls, tinsel and fresh popcorn.  Mom would always make popcorn balls.  And my brothers and sisters would bring fruit and candy.  The main event was the school's Christmas program with Santa and all the plays.  We would exchange presents at home.  I would probably get some clothes and a few toys.

In 1946, while in 3rd grade, we moved to my great uncle Bill's (William Daugherty) near Tulare (actually near Spotswood, a one elevator town.)  We took care of Uncle Bill.  George and I were the only kids home.  I was always impressed by that farm.  Uncle Bill had a living room with a fancy stove, a leather chair and a library with a rug which were all fancy as far as we were concerned.  He had a garage whose attic was filled with old National Geographics which dated back to the original issues.  He had an orchard where our previous place did not have any trees.  It was hard to change schools for such a short time.  We also changed churches.  Our famous old cow died on that farm because she ate poison.  My parents had a bedroom, and Uncle Bill had a bed in his living room.  George and I slept on the porch.  George and I also enjoyed the remains of some old antique cars that we would pretend to be operational (a Willys Knight and a Model T Ford.)

We stayed about one year and moved back (1947) to a place called the Brown's place.  I had my own house, the lower floor was used as a grainary and I had a room upstairs for my comic books and desk, a kind of a hideaway.  Dad bought bees from the Sears catalogue, many were dead when they arrived at the post office so they did not survive the next winter.  Dad taught us how to pet the bees without getting stung but we would end up seeing if the bees would sting the cat, which they did."

No comments:

Post a Comment