Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Friday, March 8, 2013

March 7, George Henry Daugherty - Making use of Ancestry.com

Today, in my consultation with Ancestry.com (please check the previous two  postings to see what direction I'm going), I've chosen my ggrandfather, George Henry Daugherty (1865-1945).  Mom remembers him as a very well read and learned man but also a hard man who expected his grandchildren to sit still on chairs during their entire visit at his house.  They couldn't even go out and play. I think they could read books while on the chairs.

I only skimmed the surface with my research, and I found several member trees that I'd like to go back to. 

In the 1900 Federal Census it states that his father was born in West Virginia.  I have difficulty knowing what state to check up on, Virginia or West Virginia, as there were some border changes about the time of William Henry Daugherty's birth.  It also states that George's wife was E. Catherine...in other words Elizabeth Catherine, rather than Catherine Elizabeth.  I might find this information helpful when doing further research on my ggrandmother. 

I found out that Catherine E. and George were married in 1888 in Spink County, SD.  It was also noted that  George married Ethel Cook also that year.  As Catherine didn't die until 1901, the marriage date with Ethel Cook is incorrect. 

I found a "living" child of George and Elizabeth and questioned the  contributor that agreed this was not correct.  The child in question died at an early age. That same author and I have had some correspondences, and I'm sure he'll be helpful in future research.  He is related to George's son, Charles', divorced wife.  A pleasant surprise, finding David. 

There were many suggested connections on Ancestry, which I will go back to another time. 

The 1940's census finds George in Wessington with Emma, his third wife.  While searching the census, I discovered an "Index", highlighting in an easy to follow manner, details concerning George.  In some of the census that I searched this index wasn't available.  It must be a recent addition.  Sure did make viewing easier.  I found out that George went 1 year to high school and Emma went fours years.  They were renting a house in Wessington at this time, with a "6" after it.  Not sure what that means...something to do with the value of the house.  George is also employed for pay and has other income.

I again went to Find a Grave.  There was a picture of Wessington Cemetery's Sign along with George's obituary.  I already have a copy of this.  Both George and Catherine's memorials were submitted by R. DeLong.  I was able to get in touch with him, and he sent me DeLong information given to him many years ago.  I'm unable to open it up...have asked this gentleman what to do and am waiting for some assistance.  I found messages at the bottem of the page of the memorial.  I need to review them once more.  There was one that mentioned "Beekman", the area that our DeLongs settled.  A Susan had found "Area DeLong" and wanted to know if that was the correct spelling of a name.  I need to write her back, and review the spellings of that name.  Area is one of the spelling of a  third cousin 5x removed. 

All in all there is far too much information to go through in one sitting.  Much of what I found, I already had in my records, but I know that patience is something I need to work towards.

George and Catherine Elizabeth DeLong Daugherty, with Robert abt. 1887

Yesterday, besides possibly getting a large file of DeLong information (if I can open it), I also received a packet of information from my cousin Gwyn.  Now I have the problem of what to include in my next posting.  I'll fight temptation, and continue with my use of Ancestry.  I've learned a lot...Again, patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment