Welcome to notes connected to the families of Carrington, Daugherty, DeLong, Pepper, Wilson, Bartholomew & Enke. This blogsite is an offshoot of Prairie Roots - a quarterly family newsletter sent to 120 households by Judy Hostvet Paulson.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

March 6, 2013, Andrew Jackson DeLong - Making use of Ancestry.Com

Yesterday I started an interesting project.  For many years I've been a member of Ancestry.com and have only skimmed the service of this well-known payed website.  I chose Deborah Gisbert, my 4th great grandmother and spent some time on other member's trees and in public records.  It was worth the time.  Today I'm chosing the brother of my ggrandmother, Catherine Elizabeth DeLong Daugherty.  His name is Andrew Jackson DeLong, (1871-1947).

When I share the information found at Ancestry, this is in addition to what facts I already have on the individual.  I am more than willing to share my Family Tree with anyone interested.

I became more and more aware of the moving that Andrew and his family made before settling in Sask.  The maps that were available to me really were helpful.  These were huge moves during the times of limited travel choices. 

Andrew was born April 24, 1871.  His father, Peter, was a farmer.  In the 1880 census he was 8 yrs old and living in Tallmage, Ottawa, Michigan.  His sister Catherine (my ggrandma) was 13, attending school.  Matilda was 17 and doing housework.  Eva was 14 and doing housework.  I wonder if 1880 was the last year that Catherine went to school.  I couldn't read the age of Susan.  Peter was 3.  All were born in Canada.  It was interesting to know that Andrew's grandmother, Silence was living with them.  Silence (Waite) was born in New York.

In the 1900 Census, Andrew was 29 and head of the household with his mother (Suzanna) age 68, born in England and sister Eva, age 34 designated as a servent.  Eva never married.  It's interesting that this family is listed in the census right below that of George Daugherty and his sister Catherine.  Catherine died the following year. 

The maps were very helpful.  I'd heard the location "Brookland, Whitby, Ontario" for a long time, but now I could see where it was located...just East of Toronto.  Life events also were helpful in being able to see the directions that Andrew went with his family.  I did try the Tree Hints, but found nothing of any interest. 

                                        Andrew Jackson DeLong



No comments:

Post a Comment